Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Don't know much about history....

When I was a wee bit of a thing, I passed up classes for sitting in my 1986 Toyota and listening to Patti LuPone cassette tapes. I guess I wasn't that wee, if I was already driving, but when I think back to school, that is all I can come up with. I
honestly don't know where I was during grade school, and it is evident now by
my huge pockets of basic information that I don't seem to have. Much of
it I never needed, that's true. But boy oh boy do I wish I could sit in
on a history class, or even grammar. The good news is that even at my old age of 28 (and yes, I say that with dripping sarcasm), it's not too late to learn. Which is why I have decided to purchase World History for Dummies.

Please don't make fun of me. This is a very sore spot for me. To compensate for it, I have gotten really super-smart in other areas of my psyche--such as (I hope) the
ability to be empathic and to communicate effectively. In my previous
existence as an actor/depressive, I also got very good at all-things-jasmin. I feel as though I've come out of that self-obsessed phase and am now onto all-things-not-jasmin, or more specifically, speaking up for those who cannot speak up for themselves. One day I realized that there was so much more to the world
than Manhattan, and that humans are the scum of the earth, or at least,
generally-speaking.

OH OH! This is exciting! Since writing the above two paragraphs, I opted instead of purchasing a history book, to ordering two for FREE on Paperback Swap!One is on World History and one is on US History. I love free things, particularly if they are something that can teach me something.

It will be useful, too, because I find that I have to STOP and RELAX more
regularly--even if it's just an hour a day or, more likely, a few hours
a week. Sometimes I feel like there's too much to DO and too much to
CHANGE to actually stop and breathe. Yet it's tough because I know that
animal rights also include myself, but sometimes, I'm so over myself.

Anyway, it will be good to learn more about the history of the patriarchy that
I so often scream about. Oh, and I suppose it will also be good to
learn more about the positive things, too. I often forget they're out
there.